Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What I'm Into (February 2013)

Was it Woody Allen who had the quip about avoiding Februaries whenever possible? Usually I wholeheartedly agree, but this February was actually pretty great. The weather was lovely most of the month, but we also saw T-Rex's first snow! We had a nice Valentine's Day, and T-Rex and I got to visit with my brother, which was fun. All around a good month!

T-Rex and I in Norman with my brother.

Read and Reading

I've made the goal for the year to read at least one non-fiction and one fiction book each month, because it's too easy to just get sucked in to blog-hopping on my smartphone and never actually read anything of substance (not that blogs can't be substantive, but the brain reacts differently to words on a page versus a screen). Sadly, I really only met the fiction half of the goal this month.

For fiction, I read all of the Nikki Heat books by "Richard Castle." They actually improved substantially as the series continued, and the most recent one ended on a serious cliffhanger. I'll be watching for the next to come out!

In keeping with a tv-related book theme, I also read Devil Bones, by Kathy Reichs. The Bones tv series is based off the character in this book, who is based off of Reichs herself. I've read some of the other books, and they're okay. Interesting murder-mystery-type fare. But Devil Bones was really preachy and not that great.

For non-fiction, I have technically read the prologue and half the first chapter of The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. The topic sounded interesting, and it's fascinating so far, but clearly I'm not that far into it. It's a long one, though, so surely it's okay to count it for both February and March?

TV

Once Upon a Time, of course, continues to enthrall. The latest episode on Gold/Rumpelstiltskin? AMAZING. He's my favorite.


Castle had a great two-parter involving the kidnapping of Castle's daughter. So full of feels, as the internet says.

So on everyone-in-the-world's recommendation, we watched the BBC Sherlock. Oh. Em. Gee. I think I might die from how purely awesome that show is. It's only fault is that there's not a whole lot more of it. My mother claims they're scheduled to start filming the next season next month. I really, really hope so, because unfortunately I can see how the last season could have ended the series entirely--it was tied up very nicely in the open-ended way characteristic of the best books and movies.

Movies

The MIL watched T-Rex so the DDH and I could go on a linner-and-a-movie date on Presidents' Day. We say the new Die Hard. It was pretty much exactly what you would expect. Lots of shiny explosions and car chases; very little plot or substance.

Music

This. (Major language warning.)

You're welcome.

The Internet

This Wall Street Journal article sparked some interesting discussion with a Facebook friend.

Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer's decision to end telecommuting for Yahoo! employees depresses me, because working at home is saving my life right now.

I've jumped on The Lizzie Bennett Diaries bandwagon and wondering why it took me so long.

Have you met the spouses at Kathleen's Meet the Spouse linkup? This was fun! I introduced the DDH here.

An Australian billionaire is building a replica of the Titanic which will travel the original's ill-fated route. What.

Everyone who owns a dog already knew this was true.

Food

The DDH declared my condensed cream of mushroom soup-free beef stroganoff a success.


Look at this big guy.
 ...


I think that's all for now, folks.

Linking up with the lovely HopefulLeigh!


What I'm Into at HopefulLeigh

What are you into these days?

6 comments:

  1. Clive Palmer and Titanic II. Oh for heavens sake! Right?! ;)
    PS I'm Australian - we're not all so ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious, delicious insanity.

      Yay! I have some friends in Australia. I know you're not all quite so ridiculous. ^_^

      Delete
  2. I have heard great things about Emperor of All Maladies. In fact, you reminded me I've been wanting to read it! Hope you'll push on through. I can't wait for the next episode of Once Upon a Time. That last one was a HUMDINGER. Holy buckets, my mind is swirling with all the developments and possibilities.

    Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's proving very interesting. I'll try to actually get a review of it up when I'm done.

      OH. OH YES. OUAT. Loving it so much, bad CGI and all.

      Delete
  3. Hey, Friend:-).
    I think I've been pretty quiet on the blogosphere, but you and your space here have been on my mind lots (that gets me a point or two, right?).
    I'm kind of in love with Macklemore right now. I didn't think I would be, but they grew on me (pretty quickly, I might add).
    Happy Sunday to you. I hope you're enjoying a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah! I've been pretty quiet, also. 'Tis the season we're in, I suppose. But I am glad you are well; I've been thinking of you, too.

      Right? Macklemore is really rather good. Though I'll admit that I'm shallow and Thrift Shop is my favorite.

      Delete