Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Earthquakes, tornadoes, and floods, oh my!


So Oklahoma's been having a fun year so far as weather extremes go. Though of the three quakes in the last three days, I only felt the biggest one, on Saturday night: I slept through the first and did not notice the one last night. Also, our dogs are total failures at this earthquake-alarm thing.

In other news, we are once again being invaded by cockroaches. Little ones, maybe a half-inch long (not like the monsters I was used to in Albuquerque). But they seem to think our kitchen is a fun place to hang out. I disagree. I'm not sure what to do about them. We squish all the ones we can, we keep the kitchen clean and all the food stored in airtight containers...and yet there they are, every day, chilling on the countertops, crawling out of the dishwasher, darting up the wall and behind the stove and into every tiny crack.

Last year, they got bad enough that the DDH brought out the Raid and heavy-duty chemicals and sprayed the kitchen down every day. Which, really, is not ideal for either the counters where I prepare the food or the floor the dogs are always licking. They're not that bad this year, but...any ideas? Squishing is obviously only getting us so far. Though once it does get cold, they'll get slower, and we'll gain on them.

I made meatballs last night, substituting pretzel crumbs for breadcrumbs, since that's what I had on hand. Unfortunately (and, yes, to my surprise, though I'm not sure what I expected), this made the meatballs taste like pretzels. Meh. Maybe they'll be better after an overnight soak in the sauce.

The trees are looking pretty, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment