Friday, October 26, 2012

I am the animal whisperer.

Animals are swarming to our house.

Monday night, I went outside because Jayne was barking his Serious Business bark. He was lunging at the end of his lead toward the corner of the backyard by the shed. I looked that way and saw two glowing green eyes staring back at me. Creepy.

I fetched a flashlight and shone it in the direction of the eyes. Turned out they belonged to a little dog, who for some reason had invaded our yard and was just chilling in the corner out of Jayne's reach. So I brought Jayne inside and then coaxed the dog to me and brought her inside, too.

Anybody want this little dog?

We don't really need a third dog. Especially a dog who jumps chain link fences and is crazy hyper. But we have yet to find her owners, and the DDH is getting suspiciously attached to her.

Then last night, I was taking the trash out when a fox dashed out of our yard and across the street. A real, live, honest-to-goodness fox.

(I know what you're thinking--this is like the squirrel story, isn't it? NO. It really was a fox. Our neighbors have a bright light in their front yard and I got a good look at it. Hmph.)

We don't live in the boonies, or even a suburb on the edge of town. Our house was built in the fifties. We're in the middle of the city. But there was a fox, just hanging out. Probably hunting for possums, because did I tell you about the times (plural, as in, more than once) possums have invaded our kitchen? Yeah.

Maybe it's more that all of Tulsa is the boonies....

ANYWAY. Then I was taking out more trash, and this little orange cat dashed up from across the street. He rolled on his back and I pet him a couple times. Then he tried to follow me into the house, because apparently he's the stupidest cat ever and wants to waltz into a house with three dogs in it.

I don't know who hung out the "All Animals Welcome Here" sign, but this is getting extreme.

2 comments:

  1. You're like Cinderella! You should start singing and maybe they'll all come help you with housework! I'd be down for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the animals would /help/ with the housework rather than create more of it, I would have way more of them than I already do!

      Delete