Thursday, May 31, 2012

What I Am Into This Month: May

Lush and green.
On My Nightstand: I'm still working through Introverts in the Church and Here I Stand: A Biography of Martin Luther, both of which the DDH got me for Easter.

Umm, What to Expect When You're Expecting? Yeah, my reading list isn't that interesting lately. Since finishing Changer I haven't read any fiction. I need to do a re-read of A Wrinkle In Time and its sequels though, I think.

Want to Read: Oh I just said that already, oops.

TV Show Worth Watching: All of our shows are over for the season! *cries* I have a few suggestions to look up on Netflix, and we've started back up with Mad Men now that season finale season is over. So far season two is a bit faster paced than the first.

Movies I've Seen (in or out of a theater): I think I've seen other movies this month (this month has been so long that I have no idea what I've done because I simply can't remember that far back).

But. Obviously, the important one: The Avengers. Oh, be still my happy action-adventure-superhero-loving heart. The internet has many interesting and insightful things to say about it; my pleasure is much simpler.

I just like watching hot guys run around blowing stuff up.

What can I say? I'm shallow.

If you like to speculate on the plot and the Marvelverse, try this. Author Carrie Vaughn has an interesting take (scientists as heroes) here. If you're of a feminist-critique bent, try this or this or any of the millions of other bickerings on the internet about Joss Whedon and anything he touches.

In My Ears: I still sort of hate music. Our "Like a G6" Pandora station gets me through housecleaning, and Mumford & Sons rescues me from the misery that is Tulsa radio stations, and that's about it.

What I'm looking forward to next month: A vacation! My parents and brother (and maybe sister) are coming in to town. Then my parents (and sister if she's there) are heading up to Michigan while my brother stays with us. Then the DDH, little bro, and I are trekking up to Michigan to meet up with our parents and my dad's family for a big ol' happy reunion at my uncle's cabin on the Lake Michigan shore.

I haven't seen my immediate family in more than a year, my grandparents and one aunt/uncle/cousin since my wedding, and the rest since way before that. High school, I think. It should be good. And my brother's a riot, so I'm looking forward to the car trip with him (he and the DDH may not be looking forward to a trip with a 20-weeks-pregnant chick, though...).

Also, my step-sister-in-law (the DDH's stepsister, though it feels weird to call his stepfamily that because his mom married C nine months after the DDH and I married, so it's not like he grew up with them or anything) gets married Saturday. Huzzah for weddings! I guess.

A sixtieth birthday party for a friend from church, my brother's 24th birthday (wait. that can't be right. Misha is almost twenty-four????), the DDH's first Father's Day, finding out what pronouns we should use with Critter (!!!!!!!!!!)...June has all sorts of good things in store.

Note that I still haven't told my work I'm pregnant...they'll have to find out soon, but I'm hoping to put it off until after my vacation (I don't want my boss to rescind my permission to go, because I'm going anyway and I'd rather have the next several months' worth of income than be looking for a new job).

Goal Progress: I posted some goals for the new year, and I figured these monthly wrap-up posts would be a good chance to check my progress throughout 2012.

The Budget: Hi, did I mention the part where SEWAGE KEEPS BACKING UP INTO MY SHOWER? Why do I even bother having a budget? We hope to get it fixed before everyone comes to visit at the end of June, but that will wipe out our savings. Again (thanks, State of Oklahoma and your bs taxes). Unless it takes more than that, which means we'll just be adding debt to the pile. Sigh.

On the plus side, I think (depending on this sewage situation) that I'll be able to have Subie the Subaru paid off by October (aka before Critter's arrival and my non-paid maternity leave), which is almost a year early. Yay!

The Garden: We ate all the snap peas and then the heat killed those plants. I have potato bushes that I hope indicate thriving potatoes underground. It's almost time to harvest all the garlic. We'll see how anything else does, though, with it being so hot so early.

Food: I can finally mostly stomach food again! Thankfully the DDH has been stepping up and playing chef a bit more often lately, because I still overheat awfully easy when stationed near the stove, and some food just puts me off. But he grilled the most delicious steak (even well done it somehow still actually tasted good, and people, I like my steaks mooing) for Memorial day and tasty pork chops last night.

The Craft Room: Oh there's a post coming on this, my friends. Just you wait. You will be astounded. Kind of. I mean, it's not actually done yet (*hastily works to lower your expectations*), but progress has been made.

Beginning to yellow in the heat.
How was your May? What are you looking forward to in June?

2 comments:

  1. Avengers was awesome! I'd see it again, for sure. :-) I've got my family reunion in about a week which I'm super excited about. It will be the two year "anniversary" of when JM proposed, so that should be awesome. Also, I'm looking forward to warm weather! There was a bit of teaser there last week (got up to 97 here on Sunday!) but now it's 50 and raining, boo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Yay summer blockbusters.

      Aww, I hope you guys have fun at the reunion!

      As for the weather, it's not that I would trade you, but that I think our states should get together and share so that we both have sunny and 75. ^_^

      Delete